Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Temporary, Interactive Art Display

We played a guessing game with these "about me" sheets that the students colored at home before school started. Sometimes I will make a class book out of items like this, but this year I wanted to display them in the classroom. I still wanted the students to be able to interact with them, but I didn't want to create a permanent bulletin board or put extra holes in the wall.

So, this is just a super simple and easy idea for creating a temporary display for student work.

What I Did:
I just made a line on the wall using painter's tape, and then adhered the work to the painter's tape. This way, I wasn't worried about damaging the paint on the wall with the tape. If you don't want your display to have a blue line on it, you could easily just do a small piece hidden behind each piece of paper, and use double sided tape to adhere it. That's what I did with the title page, "Friends at School."

To make this display "interactive," I taped the two pages separately so that students could lift the top page to see their school friend underneath.
How it Worked: 
Some pages did fall down as the kids were looking at them, but it was easy to stick them right back up. (In fact, the kids could do it independently, which is always a plus). But I didn't use very strong tape, so if you are worried about that, use stronger tape. When I use this idea again, I will probably use double sided tape for the bottom piece, just to make it a little more stable.

My students have really enjoyed this feature in our classroom. Right now they are especially interested in finding their own name and picture, but it has also been a good tool for practicing the names of their classmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...