Saturday, November 8, 2014

Book Love: Leaf Man



Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert is one of my favorite books about leaves, probably because I am drawn to the creative illustrations. The illustrations are full of autumn leaf collages that are arranged to be different animals and scenes, and of course the leaf man. The story itself reinforces the simple concept of the wind blowing leaves in the fall. It was a nice connection to our senses exploration using leaves during the week as well.

Read-Aloud Tip: During the story, I involved my students by asking them to help the wind blow the leaf man from page to page. So after I read every page, I paused for a minute to let them blow on the pages.

Activity: The illustrations in this book just make me want to try and create my own leaf creations. My students had the option to make their own leaf creations during center choices time. I sat at the table at first, and modeled how to glue the leaves to the paper and talked through some of my own ideas.

True to preschool form, most of the students were especially interested in the process of squeezing the glue onto the paper, but a few students wanted to tell me about what they made with their leaves.

"It's a turtle drinking glue"
"A Rocketship"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...