Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Book Love: The Shape of My Heart

As part of exploring shapes and getting ready for Valentine's day, we used one of my favorite shape books to inspire many of our activities:
This is the Shape of My Heart
I love that this book explores the concept of shapes, rather than just the typical math shapes that we often focus on exclusively. Everything has a shape, and it's easy for young children to make connections to the shapes they see in this book. 



Read-Aloud Tips: There's so much to see and explore on each page, and every time I read it there are children who want to touch and point out things on the page. So I embrace that enthusiasm, and try to make it as interactive as possible. We spend time pointing to our favorite foods, or playing "I Spy" with shapes on the page, etc. 

Connecting Activities: There are so many ways you could make connections to this book, but I found inspiration this year in the phrase at the end of the book, "this is the shape I love you with, this is the shape of my heart." 

Collaborative Heart Art
As part of our themes of friendship and community, we filled up these hearts together. 
Doing this as an invitation to create a collage was fun, but if I did this again, I would probably do paint and maybe even stickers.




Heart Shaped Threading




Heart Themed Sensory Bin 
with different sized hearts and cookie cutter shapes



Heart Drawing and Cutting


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...