Friday, March 17, 2017

St. Patrick's Day Fun in Preschool

I always like to incorporate rainbows during this time of year, because #1- they are just so happy and #2- it's a fun way to connect with St. Patrick's Day. 

Rainbow Table
I'll do another post about our other rainbow activities, but one that I like to do every year for the holiday is build a big rainbow on the table out of objects we find in the classroom. This is a classic sorting activity, but I usually add in some sort of twist with Leprechauns. This year, I actually found a book where a Leprechaun loses his rainbow and needs colored objects to build it again, so I was able to connect it to literature instead of making something up on my own. :) 
It's always fun to see what objects the children find to add to the table. (I usually have certain objects out on purpose for this activity, but they usually come up with other items as well) 
 I think the end result is fun to look at, and can be used for counting or playing "I Spy" for some extra math connections. 

Leprechaun Traps and Homes
This year, I extended an invitation to build a leprechaun trap, which has become a popular activity for this holiday. Several kids were really invested in this idea, and one decided to make a home instead of a trap. 
They told me they put books in their trap so "the leprechaun could have something to read and not get bored." :) 
These rainbow colors were placed to lure the Leprechaun to their traip.
This student created a trail of green objects to lead the Leprechaun to the home she created. 



Making Green
Another Leprechaun challenge was creating the color green. This simple color mixing activity allowed for experimentation with different materials, and we ended up with a lot of beautiful green shades in the end. 






The Lucky Letter Game
This is a simple letter recognition game, where you try to find the lucky shamrock that matches the letter on the whiteboard. 

Magic Rainbow Trick
The kids were really hoping to catch a leprechaun in their traps, but he was just too tricky.
 He did leave us a magic rainbow trick to try out though.


Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...