Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Space Explorers

We've been exploring space the last week or so, as a transition to learning more about day and night, and weather next month. This theme has really sparked a lot of dramatic and cooperative play, and it has been great to watch the students work and play together in this way.

Adventure in Space
We have loved using a song/story by Greg and Steve called An Adventure in Space to imagine what it might be like to go on a space adventure. One student informed me that the astronauts are lying down when the rocket launches, so now everyone does that when we go through the story. :) 

Rocket Launching
I put out this cardboard rocket (inspired by the Fun in Pre-K1 blog), and there have been a lot of rocket launches happening since. My morning class started making "adjustments" as one student called them, and the rocket evolved into having a control center with various buttons and loose parts over time. I love watching the kids engage in the evolution of their ideas, and was more than happy to support this process as much as I could. I ended up making some adjustments of my own as well, since the box I used didn't stay upright as well as I had hoped, so we were all working together to bring their play to life. 





Space Art
I set out chalk pastels and black paper as an invitation to draw something in space. This resulted in some wonderful free explorations of lines, circles, blending colors, and even some word writing. 






Sensory Play


Flying Rockets
We used a template from Buggy and Buddy  to try out our own flying rockets.


The kids also used these for dramatic play around the classroom. 



Space Puzzles
These were used both for working together to build the puzzle, and as a backdrop for more dramatic play. :) 


Earth and the Parachute
My classes LOVE the parachute this year, so I'm always looking for ways to change it up. We used my blow-up globe for a few songs, as we thought about how the earth is one of the planets "floating" in space. 


 The energy and interest during this topic has been really fun!
Next our focus will be on the moon and the night sky

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...