Sunday, December 14, 2014

On the Felt Board: Snowman

I've been a little obsessed with felt this school year. There are so many fun ideas out there for ways to use it, and it is a cheap and easy material to work with. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but it still feels a bit magical to me to place felt up on a felt or flannel board and it sticks there without velcro, or magnets, or glue. It is simple, and I love it. I use felt a lot in my preschool classroom, but this love has carried over into my home life as well.

I made my son a felt board using a large piece of cardboard, flannel fabric, and a glue gun. (Even though the backing is made of flannel, I still like calling it a felt board because all of the playing pieces are made of felt..) I secured it to the wall at his level using command strips. It was so easy.

The pieces on his board right now are snowflakes and snowballs, with things to make a snowman just for fun. When I made this, I was anticipating that winter was quickly on its way. However, we have not had moisture or even very cold weather now for weeks. So it's not very relevant to his experiences right now, but that's okay.


Sometimes I will interact with him while he plays, and we will talk about the snowman, his hat, his nose, his eyes, the snowflakes, etc. He will usually rearrange anything I put on the board, and gives it a nice pat to make sure it sticks. Sometimes this will keep his attention for quite awhile.

Inevitably his play always turns into "rip everything off as fast as you can," which is also fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...