Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Teacher Talk: Teaching the Alphabet

In my last Teacher Talk post, I wrote about moving away from a "letter of the week" approach in order to teach the alphabet in an integrated, more meaningful way. Fluency with alphabet letters and their sounds is a vital part of learning to read, so I want my students to have as many opportunities as possible to be exposed to and work with the alphabet. Today I'm discussing some ways that I teach the alphabet in my preschool classroom, without using a "letter of the week."

A Meaningful Context
First of all, my goal is to make the alphabet letters and print meaningful for my students, so that they can make connections, build upon their knowledge, and retain what they are learning. The process of creating a meaningful context changes and evolves throughout the year, depending on the needs and interests of the students. At the beginning of the year, an easy place to start is with student names. Those letters will be very meaningful to the students because their name is a representation of who they are.

Likewise, the names of other friends and family members can also be a springboard for learning. As I was assessing one student's alphabet knowledge this week, he was so excited to tell me the names of family members that went with the letters he knew. What a great example of a student constructing understanding from something that is meaningful to them.

Environmental print provides another starting point, as it is usually the print that children first learn to "read" and recognize. There are a lot of great ideas and resources out there for using environmental print in the classroom.

Finally, creating a "print-rich environment" opens up the door to an endless number of meaningful connections. A few examples are labeling items in the classroom, posting print with student displays, creating a word wall, and integrating print into learning activities.




Routines and Repetition
One way that I make sure I am reinforcing alphabet knowledge every day is by making it a part of our daily routines. While using a "letter of the week" approach takes at least 26 weeks of instructional time to complete all of the alphabet letters without any review time, integrating the alphabet into classroom routines gives students multiple exposures to every letter on a regular basis. I have the flexibility to highlight specific letters that are more difficult (based on student needs), while other times letters are brought up based on a topic we are studying or student interests.

For example, one routine is writing out a short "message" with the class everyday.  I like to do a message about a different student every day so that it is meaningful to the class, but I use the same format each time so that it is also predictable. (Thanks to Pre-K Pages for this specific format idea)

Today the leader is Sara. 
Sara likes popcorn.

There are many different ways I could review alphabet knowledge using this message. Since my class is currently focusing on recognizing and writing their own names, that is what I am emphasizing at this point in the year. The conversation might go something like this as I'm writing:

"Today the leader's name starts with a /s/,/s/,/s/ sound. What letter makes that sound? The /sssss/ sound reminds me of a snake and snake starts with the letter s. The leader's name is spelled S-a-r-a. Do you know who our leader is today? Yes, it's Sara! Let's spell her name together. Sara, can you come underline (or circle) your name in our message? That is an important word, and I want everyone to remember what your name looks like."

Other routines that I use include working with an alphabet chart and "reading" a predictable chart together as a class every day. The predictability and repetition of routines help students to feel capable and successful as they learn and practice these skills.

Individualized Support
My class sizes are small, with only 6 students coming at one time, making differentiated instruction and support very manageable. There are times when I plan to work with an individual or a small group on specific skills during center time, but it's amazing how opportunities to interact and guide their thinking can present themselves during centers and play.

A few weeks ago, I put alphabet letters into the sensory bin with kinetic sand, and observed how the students were interacting with the materials. They brought over some dishes from the kitchen, and began to make "alphabet ice cream." I took the opportunity to follow their lead and interact with them as they eagerly wanted to share their ice cream with me. During that time, one student would tell me the names of the letters in his ice cream bowl, while another kept calling them numbers. This was a great chance for me to do some individualized teaching that was unplanned and yet based completely on each child's current level of understanding.

And of course, I still integrate alphabet knowledge through read-alouds, games, songs, and alphabet learning center activities. I keep my classroom library stocked with literature that supports our current learning topics, as well as alphabet books and other fun favorites.


Assessment
In addition to all of these strategies, I also check in with the students regularly to track their progress and guide my teaching. I mostly use informal methods of assessment such as observational notes and student questioning, along with a basic alphabet assessment that monitors specific letter and sound knowledge. This helps me to know what letters need to be given more exposure or what students might need more supportive instruction.




References:


Elliott, Elizabeth M., & Olliff, Charleen B. (2008). Developmentally Appropriate Emergent Literacy Activities for Young Children: Adapting the Early Literacy and Learning Model. Early Childhood Education Journal, 35, 551-556.

Fischer, Bobbi. (1996). Moving Beyond "Letter of the Week." Teaching PreK-8, 26:4, 74-76. 

Jones, Cindy D., Clark, Sarah K., & Reutzel, D. Ray. (2012). Enhancing Alphabet Instruction: Research Implications and Practical Strategies for Early Childhood Educators. Early Childhood Education Journal, 41, 81-89.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...